Friday 3 June 2011

Galvin La Chappelle, Central London

Well, I played a blinder last night. Five course meal, matched wine with each course, plus a couple of glasses of champagne to start...and no hangover. None. Zero. Zilch. I feel positively fresh. It is a minor miracle.

Last night I had a work dinner at La Chappelle, which is about a 5 minute walk from Liverpool Street Tube Station. I must admit I hadn’t heard of the restaurant before, but have to say I was pretty impressed.

Here’s what we ate:

Menu
Broad bean soup with smoked duck
2009 Saumur Blanc, “Les Bessières”, Les Vignerons de Saumur


***

Grilled fillets of mackerel, Spring vegetable Barigoule
2008 Peyroli, Mas la Chevaliere, Domaine Laroche

***
Roast breast of corn-fed Goosnargh duck,caramelised endive tatin, apple & frisee salad
2009 Brouilly, Château de Pierreux 

***
Selection of French farmhouse Cheeses
***
Apple Tart Tatin, Crème fraîche
NV    Ambré Rivesaltes, “Solera”, Domaine des Demoiselles 75cl    


Very nice it was too. My favourite course had to be the duck, which was served deliciously pink, and went perfectly with the apple and frisee salad. The only bit I was a tad unsure of was the dessert wine, which tasted like a super-sweet brandy (bizarre). That being said, I’ve never been too keen on dessert wines – give me something crisp and dry any day – so maybe this is just a reflection of my uneducated palate more than anything!

Galvin La Chappelle
35 Spital Square,
London,
E1 6DY

No comments:

Post a Comment