Saturday 12 November 2011

Sharon fruit compote with vanilla yoghurt

The socially acceptable way to have the contents of a wine glass for breakfast.

Sharon fruit is a type of persimmon. I must admit, this is the first time I have ever tried one. It's a bit of a funny fruit really...the closest thing I can compare it to in terms of taste would be an apricot; in terms of texture, probably a tomato, but minus the seeds.

I got the idea for this layered compote / yoghurt thing from a recipe on the Abel and Cole website for a similar thing using plums. Having tried and enjoyed the original plummy version, when trying to work out what to do with my recently acquired sharon fruits, I figured it too could benefit from the same treatment.

It was very nice. In future I think I might peel the sharon fruits though - although this wasn't a major problem I think it might improve the overall consistency.


Sharon fruit compote with vanilla yoghurt

Serves 2

3 sharon fruit
1/2 an orange
1 tbsp honey
1 pot vanilla yoghurt ( I used an incredibly delicious one from Brown Cow Organics)

 Chop the Sharon fruit into small pieces and put in a saucepan with the juice of 1/2 an orange, the honey and a little water. Simmer for about 20 minutes, adding more water if necessary, until the compote is nice and thick and most of the fruit has disintegrated.

Behold the compote!

Allow the compote to cool down completely then layer in a wine glass (or any other vessel you fancy). Chill in the fridge until ready to serve. Breakfast done!

You got nommed.

No comments:

Post a Comment